Middle Atlantic Swimming “Technical Suit Policy” UPDATE
USA Swimming ‘s Tech Suit Decision to be made at Convention in September
The USA Swimming Age Group Development Committee gave an update to the USA Swimming Board of Directors recommending a ban on tech suits for 12 & Under athletes. The Board has not officially voted on the ban, but seemed to be clearly supported by the discussion. The next step is for this legislation to be brought before the House of Delegates in September at Convention. The Middle Atlantic Swimming policy will remain in place until a national decision has been made.
At the September, 2017 Middle Atlantic Swimming Board Meeting, the Middle Atlantic Swimming Board approved the following policy in regards to our swimmers aged 10 and under wearing “Tech Suits” in Middle Atlantic Sanctioned Meets. This policy follows many Local Swim Committees (LSCs) in the United States who are reviewing rules on the use of technical swim suits in age group competitions. The main reason is that these suits can cost as much as $500 per suit versus traditional fabric suits that cost much less
USA Swimming has hired outside consulting firm Isaac Sports Group to review various policies on tech suit use in age group swimming, with a final report due in November.
There is no “Tech” suit restriction for swimmers age 11 and over.
Here is some “Q and A” from Age Group Vice Chair Brian Elko to assist with the understanding of this policy:
- Paroling this is going to be up to the Coaches and officials. Coaches need to educate their teams and be willing to speak up if they see a swimmer with a suit on at a meet. Officials will be DQing swimmers if they see a swimmer aged 10 and under compete in a Tech suit.
- We are defining a “Tech” suit as: “any suit with bonded seams, Kinetic tape, or meshed seams”
- Referees and officials will know about this rule and will have the ability to DQ a swimmer wearing a suit.
- Referees will not be checking all suits, but if a swimmer swims and an official sees a FINA tag on the suit they have the right to DQ the swimmer.
- The list of suits that will NOT be permitted will be updated as needed.